Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Movie Review: The Skeleton Twins

The Skeleton Twins may still be in theaters, so I will avoid too many spoilers.



There are three perspectives in which I am going to split this movie up as I go through it.

1) Kristen Wiig: There is not much bad that can be said about Wiig's performance.  Who knew she could act this well?  She may not have given an Oscar nominee performance (pending the heavy hitting movies that will gain a lot of buzz later in the year), but she deserves to be in the conversation. Her ability to portray a realness that alternates between hilarity and heartbreak is something that even the best should be jealous of.

2) Bill Hader: Wiig's former SNL counterpart on the other hand, struggled in his first dramatic role.  Do not get me wrong, I am as big a Hader fan as anyone, and what actually got me to buy the ticket to this movie was the fact that Hader was in it... not Wiig.  I do not regret the purchase of my ticket either.  My point is that I just felt that Hader did not put in the strongest performance.The character shallowness gives him such complexity, but the credit should be mostly given to writing and direction.   Hader gave it is all, but I did not buy him.   I bought the character if I were looking at it from a script perspective, but Hader counted too much on pretending than on actually becoming this character.

3) Kristen Wiig + Bill Hader: I am not done with seeing Bill Hader though, and I look forward to his next role.  There were moments of greatness and potential, and that happened when he was able to share scenes with Wiig.  Especially in the more goofy of scenes, Hader was no longer acting; he became the character.  The chemistry and history between the two actors gave them excellent back-and-forth chemistry, and I hope this is not the last movie the two of the share.

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment